The List: What In-The-Know Drinkers Will Be Talking About This Weekend
- Beer-lovers are “60 percent more likely to be okay sleeping with someone they’ve just met,” according to an article shared by Time magazine. Do with this information, um, what you will.
- Maine State Senator John Patrick is calling out bars in his state for cheating customers with pint glasses that are smaller than the US standard of 16 ounces. Many “actually hold only 14 ounces – or who knows what amount, really,” reports Food and Wine. But Patrick is introducing a bill that would put an end to all of that. Hopefully, he’ll have better luck than Michigan did with the same campaign in 2013. No worries at CMBC… our pint glasses are always a full 16 ounces.
- Fifty Shades of Grey opened yesterday, and yes, a beer has been released to commemorate the occasion, thanks to Scotland’s Innis and Gunn. The brew, called 50 Shades of Green, blends — you guessed it — 50 different hops and a slew of “libido increasing” ingredients. Unfortunately, it’s only available in the UK, lovebirds.
- It’s President’s Day Weekend, so time to bone up on your history: George Washington wrote a beer recipe (think lots of molasses), and brewed it at the distillery he opened when his tobacco-growing businesses went bust.
- An ambitious man tried to sneak about 24 beers past a security guard at a Turkish soccer game this week. He failed, and that fail is going viral.
- “Sewage beer” is now a thing, thanks to recycling advocacy group Clean Water Oregon, who says brews made with purified waste water are a-okay for drinking.
- It’s Mardi Gras! And in case you’re in the mood to get your Creole on, our Citra Pale Ale, being released this Thursday, pairs great with shrimp and grits, and our Tower 23 is a match for a Muffuletta. Fun fact: Canyon Allen, owner of A Place on Earth soap company and our newest neighbor at the Cape May Airport, recently marched along with Flying Fish Studio owner Sue Lotozo in Mardi Gras’ Krewe de Vieux parade and tribute to James Brown. Get on up!