The Bog. In cans.
You’ve heard the phrase “labor of love”. It’s one of those things that you do for the love of it. Because it’s part of your soul. It’s arduous, fraught with danger, and pitfalls abound, but you do it anyway.
Yeah. That’s what getting The Bog into cans has been for Cape May Brewing Company.
We love this beer. We love that you love this beer.
We love that we’re finally able to bring you this beer.
You all know The Bog. It’s refreshing. It’s tart. It’s delicious. It’s sweet. We’re getting thirsty and off-track just thinking about it.
But that sweetness is the problem.
All beer has a modest amount of live yeast in it. We get rid of the bulk of the yeast, but those yeasties are tiny. It’s not easy to keep track of all of them.
The Bog has a lot of fruit in it. Fruit has sugar. Yeasties loooooove sugar. They eat up all the sugar, then excrete alcohol and CO2. (Yep. That’s the life of a yeast.)
If they’re putting out CO2 in a sealed aluminum tube, it might explode or gush. No bueno.
The saving grace is that yeast only creates alcohol and CO2 when it’s warm. If the yeasties are cold enough, they stay dormant. They’re sleepy yeasties. Yet, they can’t sleep when it’s too warm. They toss and turn, and eventually they wake up and want a snack. And begin the process all over again.
But — if we keep The Bog cold, there is little chance of the yeasties waking up and changing the pressure inside the can, so long as you drink it within a reasonable amount of time. The yeasties can wake up in time and begin the process again.
So, here’s what you need to know:
- You absolutely must keep this beer cold.
- Drink this beer as soon as possible. Do not age this beer.
- We will be releasing approximately 350 cases of The Bog.
- You will only be able to get The Bog at our Tasting Room. We’re not distributing this beer in 2018.
- Doors open on Friday at 11am. Get here early.
- You can only buy this in person. No holds. No phone orders.
- Six-packs are $11.99 +tax.
- You are limited to seven cases per-person as per New Jersey law.
- We will have more Tasting Room-only drops of this beer throughout the summer. Keep your eye on our social media to keep informed.
- We’ll still have The Bog on tap. You’ll still be able to get 32- and 64-ounce growlers.
We haven’t given up on distributing this beer. We didn’t want to make this a Tasting Room Exclusive — we want as many of you to get your hands on The Bog as possible –, but we’d rather let those of you willing to come to the brewery get your fill than not do it at all. (Or, more accurately, we’d rather let you get up to seven cases, because that’s all we’re legally allowed to sell you.)
We’ll see you Friday.
Bring a cooler.