Apple Bomb Fritters
It’s one of our fans’ favorite beers, and, to make sure we end 2018 on the right note, it’s back again in the Tasting Room and out for distribution — Apple Bomb!
With its explosion of apple flavor, Apple Bomb’s bready and biscuity malts make it perfect for baking. We tasked our Head Chef JP Thomas to come up with a recipe using Apple Bomb, and he didn’t disappoint.
“The tartness of Apple Bomb makes it great for desserts,” JP says. “It freshens up the dish like a crisp, green apple. You get that clean, fresh flavor that makes baking with Apple Bomb really very nice.”
This delicious recipe for Apple Fritters with Caramel Bomb Sauce will be a stellar addition to your holiday meal. Stop down to the Tasting Room and get a growler fill — the recipe only calls for 9oz of Apple Bomb, so that’s more than three pints left for you to drink!
1.5 Cups cake flour
1/3 Cup sugar
2 Tbls brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
4oz Apple Bomb
2 Cups green apples, peeled and diced
Pinch of salt
Oil for Frying
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, and nutmeg
- In another bowl, whisk together Apple Bomb, egg, and vanilla
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, stir until mixed
- Gently fold in apples
- In a pot, add about 4 inches of oil, heat until 360°
- Using a tablespoon, carefully drop small, rounded spoonfuls of batter into the oil. Do not make them too large and only fry two to three at a time. Fry for about a minute on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel
Top with powdered sugar and a side of Caramel Bomb Sauce.
Makes 1.5 cups
1 cup sugar
5 oz Apple Bomb, divided
2 Tbls butter, unsalted and cubed
2 Tbls heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Add the sugar and 4oz of the Apple Bomb to a saucepan over high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to boil, swirling occasionally, DO NOT STIR, until the sauce is amber colored, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cream, stirring constantly.
- Place back over low heat.
- Add butter, vanilla, and remaining Apple Bomb, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
If you give this one a try, let us know how it comes out!